This site is mainly a store for all the links, tips and tricks that I come across with me usually doing a weekly 'link' post. I'd say that 98% of the items I post come out from my Google Reader subscription list so today I've taken it a step further and enabled support for consuming the Google Reader Share Items feed.
By using the 'Share with note' feature within Google Reader I can easily mark the items I want to share and have them appear on the site along with any comments I add. Nice and simple and even better I get to mark things from my iPhone! To enable this I used the following:
- Zend_Feed to parse the ATOM items that I share
- Generate a markdown formatted link using the feed elements:
- id - this is a unique entry for the item which I store to ensure I don't re-parse it
- title - for the link text
- link('alternate') - for the link outgoing link to the item
- gr:annotation content - for the notes
- Finally create the folder structure ( links/year/month/day ) and store this file as index.txt which will be picked up for indexing later on.
This will run on a weekly basis and automatically create the post with all the items I've collected.