Links for 31 March 2022
It seems that the last time I listed links was back in 2013, so it's time to resurrect this. At least this way I can manage to keep my Instapaper list manageable.
- @JenMsft lists her favourite Windows hotkeys. I certainly learned a good bit such as clicking on an icon while holding down Ctrl & Shift launches it in elevated mode.
- @partytimeHXLNT details how to switch off text suggestions in VSCode. It's "Editor > Suggest: Show words"
- On Windows you can
| clipto send output to the clipboard. @unixterminal points out that you can use
| clip.exevia WSL to do the same thing.
- FalsiScan can make it look like a PDF has been hand signed and scanned
- Build your first WinUI 3 app using the Windows App SDK - part 1, 2, and 3
- Docker + WordPress Setup details how to set up and use WordPress from within Docker
- @tonysmdev had a tip on how you can override some form's attributes from a button with things like
button[formmethod], and more. Originally sourced from https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/button#attr-formaction
- The post on Obscure HTML Tags taught me a few things such as the details tag. A good few things there that might mean you no longer need a framework for some of it.
- Advanced settings configuration in WSL using
wsl.conf(Distribution specific in WSL1 and WSL2) and
- Configuring SSH access into WSL 1 and WSL 2
- @crepels has developed a playground for systemd over at https://systemd-by-example.com/. The announcement blog post is at https://seb.jambor.dev/posts/systemd-by-example-the-playground/.
- If you're using a Lenovo laptop then you'll be used to using Lenovo Vantage to install BIOS and driver updates. @unixterminal noticed that the enterprise version is far less spammy. https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/hf003321
- @joel__lord has a tip about using
Ever did a bunch of changes in a codebase, only to realize that you're working on
git switch -c <new_branch>
Creates a new branch and brings you local changes over.
- Sharing SSH keys between Windows and WSL 2
- PHP in 2022 details what is now possible using PHP 8.1 including enums and read-only properties
- Using Traefik to Route HTTP Requests to Multiple Docker Microservices
- Monitorian is a Windows monitor control app using the Display Data Channel/Command Interface Standard (DDC/CI).
- ngrok allows you to provide external access to localhost services such as a dev instance of your app
- How to Create a Markdown Blog in PHP With the Slim Framework using interesting things like
- Finding or Recovering your WSL Data details how to recover your WSL2 instance after performing a System Reset. A useful tip is that the ext4 VHDX file is stored in a subfolder of
- I initially found out about Tailscale via their How our free plan stays free blog post. They apparently offer a secure network that just works using a zero config VPN.
- Appwrite is a self-hosted alternative to Google Firebase
- Fastmail JMAP backup using Python